- This event has passed.
World Food Day 2020
October 16, 2020 @ 9:00 am - 5:00 pm UTC+0Free
October 16, 1945, was the founding date of the UN’s Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO). On this day, every year, people around the globe gather to honor this important milestone as World Food Day and to rededicate ourselves to the international campaign underway to achieve, by 2030, the sustainable development goal of Zero Hunger.
In partnership with civil society organizations, companies, and a number of UN and U.S. agencies, we’ll honor this day by hosting a wide range of events. This virtual conference will feature presentations on global food topics including hunger relief, regenerative agriculture and sustainable development, food security and safety, impacts of climate change, and more. The goal for World Food Day 2020 is to deepen our personal and collective determination to defeat hunger.
Beginning at 9:00 am CDT on October 16, 2020, and running throughout the day, our World Food Day 2020 will feature presentations by and discussions with heads of international organizations, companies, and trade associations who provide significant leadership in our global food system. We will also celebrate the launch of MBOLD, a coalition that leverages Minnesota’s unique concentration of food and agriculture leadership in addressing global challenges facing the food and agriculture sectors.
- Hon. David Beasley, Executive Director, United Nations World Food Program
- Dr. Jeffrey Sachs, Founder and Director, United Nations Sustainable Development Solutions Network
- Guy Ryder, Director General of the United Nations International Labor Organization (ILO)
- Liz Schrayer, President and CEO, U.S. Global Leadership Coalition
- Paurvi Bhatt, President, Medtronic Foundation, Impact 2030 Advisory Council
- Cathy Feingold, Director, International Department, AFL-CIO, Deputy President, International Trade Union Confederation
- Jeff Harmening, CEO, General Mills
- Stephanie Lundquist, Executive Vice President and President of Food and Beverage, Target
- Joan Gabel, President, University of Minnesota
- Sonya Roberts, President and Group Leader of Salt Group, Cargill